Deuces Wild Video Poker Strategy for Optimal Play
Deuces Wild Strategy: The most important thing to remember when playing Deuces Wild video poker is that the four two’s (deuces) in the deck can be substituted for any other card, for any rank, in any suit. It’s what makes playing this video poker game so exciting. For example, a deuce of spades could be used as the fifth card to complete a straight flush in diamonds. You never discard a deuce.
Note: These Deuces Wild strategy rules apply for the standard game. Variations like Loose Deuces, Bonus Deuces, etc. require a somewhat different approach.
Deuces Wild Strategy hand rankings and pay-outs:
The winning hands and pay-outs for Deuces Wild, from highest to lowest are:
- Royal Flush without deuce(s) – A, K, Q, J, and 10 of the same suit. Pays 4,000 or more coins when five coins are bet. Pays only 250 coins for each of 1 to 4 coins bet.
- Four Deuces– Four wild cards in one hand. Pays 200 per coin bet.
- Wild Royal Flush – A royal flush made up with one or more deuces. Pays 25 or 20 per coin bet.
- Five of a Kind – Any five cards of the same value (includes one or more deuces). Pays 16, 15 or 12 per coin bet.
- Straight Flush – Five consecutive cards in the same suit, for instance 8, 9, 10, J and Q. Pays 10, 9 or 8 per coin bet.
- Four of a Kind – A hand with four cards of the same value. Pays 5 or 4 per coin bet.
- Full House – Three cards of one value, and two cards of another value. Pays 3 or 4 per coin bet .
- Flush – Any five cards of the same suit, in no particular order. Pays 3 or 2 per coin bet.
- Straight – Any five consecutive cards, such as J, 10, 9, 8 and 7, but not in the same suit. Pays 2 per coin bet.
- Three of a Kind – Any three cards of the same value. In Deuces Wild this is the lowest-paying hand. Pays 1 per coin bet (returns your wager).
Because you have four wild cards to help make up winning combinations, the lowest pay-out is for Three-of-a-Kind. That makes Deuces Wild a more volatile but also a more exciting game than Jacks or Better.
Basic Deuces Wild Strategy for the Standard Game
If you’re dealt:
- Four Deuces – Hold all five cards, you can’t improve this hand.
- Three Deuces – Keep a wild royal flush and five-of-a-kind. Otherwise hold the deuces only.
- Two Deuces – Keep any hand that’s four-of-a-kind or better. Keep any four cards to a royal flush. Otherwise just the two deuces.
- One Deuce – Keep all paying hands, with the exception of four cards to a royal flush. Keep four cards to a straight flush, three cards to a royal flush. Otherwise keep the deuce only.
- No Deuce – Keep all paying hands, except hold four cards to a royal flush, instead of a lesser paying hand.
- Keep a four-card straight flush.
- Keep a three-card to a royal flush.
- Keep any one pair (keep two pair only if full house pays the same as four-of-a-kind).
- Keep a four-card flush.
- Keep a consecutive four-card straight.
- Keep three cards to a straight flush.
- Keep any two of 10, J, Q or K, if they’re in the same suit.
- If you’re not dealt any of the above, draw five new cards.
Tip: Print out the above Deuces Wild strategies and refer to them while playing online. Be sure of every move, don’t hurry, the machine will wait